Sunday, November 21, 2010

The New Club

We had our third meeting this week at the Good Beans Café. The first order of business was to relocate our next meeting to somewhere we could medicate indoors. With the winter months approaching, some of our older volunteers stated that they had fought the good fight for too long to be pushed into the cold now. After a short discussion, the group decided to have our next meeting at a place I’ve never been to before. Apparently it's a really swanky club that some guy has out on wooded property behind his house. I haven’t heard much about the building itself, only what the club offers. Unlike the G3C this place comes fully furnished, which includes a pool table, a bar, and a 23 foot, nineteenth century, solid slate shuffle board. I guess we’re allowed to drink and smoke inside and there’s no problem. From what I’ve heard there’re a lot of parties at night with live bands and free food. I’ve also been told that there’s a really safe feeling there, and a few people have told me that during the day, you can bring your kids there to ride the horses, or go swimming in the lake. They also have a community pantry that is always stocked to the brim with food.  In fact, it gets so full they often make donations to families in need. This place sounds pretty cool, but so did the G3C at first, and considering that for a few members of our group this is their forth club, who can speculate the long haul? No club offers everything or satisfies everybody. Either way, I’m sure I wouldn’t be getting into this club if I weren’t part of this group. From what I’ve heard, the members don’t accept many younger people. Most of the members are retired shop workers and understandably they don’t want any “riff-raff” in their club. Well, it just so happens that I’m really good friends with some of my parents’ friends who worked in the shop, that shop workers are my kind of people, and I assume we’ll get along fine. I think I’ll just keep my fingers crossed just the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment